This European Standard establishes principles for the qualification and certification of personnel who perform industrial non-destructive testing (NDT).
The term ‘industrial’ implies the exclusion of applications in the field of medicine. The system described in this European Standard can also apply to other NDT methods, or to new techniques within an established NDT method, provided a comprehensive scheme of certification exists and the method or technique is covered by European, international or national standards, or the new NDT method or technique has been demonstrated as effective through a formal qualification carried out in accordance with CEN/TR 14748.
The methodology for “Approval” of NDT personnel is not specified in Directive 97/23/EC and it was agreed that guidance was required in order to ensure a consistent approach to the application of the Directive and the implementation of Working Group Pressure guideline 6/13 by Recognised Third Party Organisations (RTPO). As a result a Code of Practice was developed as Technical Report CEN/TR 15589.
The certification covers proficiency in one or more of the following methods:
- Acoustic emission testing;
- Eddy current testing;
- Leak testing (hydraulic pressure tests excluded);
- Magnetic particle testing;
- Penetrant testing;
- Radiographic testing;
- Ultrasonic testing;
- Visual testing (direct unaided visual tests and visual tests carried out during the application of another NDT method are excluded).
References and notes
- EN 473: "Non-destructive testing. Qualification and certification of NDT personnel. General principles" (2008)
- CEN/TR 15589: "Non-destructive testing. Code of practice for the approval of NDT personnel by recognised third party organisations under the provisions of Directive 97/23/EC" (2007)